Thursday, April 24, 2014

Kansas City Corporate Challenge Time

It's that time of year again when I become a multisport participant for Kansas City Corporate Challenge.  "Started in 1980, the Kansas City Corporate Challenge is an Olympic-type event that allows Kansas City area corporations to interact with each other through a variety of sporting events."  This means that companies are grouped by size and compete in all kinds of events.  It is really fun!  I usually end up participating in a ton of events!!  Plus, the events raise money and awareness for Special Olympics!

The event kicks off with a walk and party for all of the companies.  That is the Friday.  I never go because it is always the same weekend as one of my best friend's birthdays.  I hear it is a good time!  Other events include:
Disc Golf
Horseshoes
Darts
Dodgeball
5K

Finish of the 5K last year-My PR for this distance!  23:40

Fishing
Golf
Trap Shooting
Half Marathon
Last year, I had to rush straight from the half to volleyball play in games.
Racquetball
Volleyball
Oh, yeah...hitting off balance...pretty much my game!
Bike Race-super short sprint about 3 miles
Softball
Table Tennis
Track-this is a week and I am captain.  Events include-400M, Mile, Shot, Long Jump, 100M, Sprint Medley Relay, Mile Relay, and Distance Medley Relay.  I typically do everything except Shot Put.  I am there from 4:30pm to between 10pm and 11pm each night.  It is a loooonnnngggg week, but usually very fun!

Basketball
Tennis
Soccer-our men's team is good, but our women's includes all of us who don't know how to play.  I'm terrible! 
Bowling
Duathlon and Triathlon-sprint distances
Weightlifting
Flag Football


Swimming-200M Freestyle, 50M Breaststroke, 100 IM, 50 Backstroke, 50 Butterfly, 200 IM Relay, 50 Free style and 200 Freestyle Relay...I do not swim.  #1-I am not a strong swimmer, more of a floater and sun bather #2-I do not own a 1 piece and I am certainly not swimming in a bikini in front of coworkers!
Last but not least-Tug of War.  This event is fun, but you have to start at 7am on a Saturday.  I have done it, but usually choose not to skip this one.

At some point in time, I have participated in most of the events-including weightlifting which is hilarious!!  It is some formula based on your body weight vs what you bench press.  Let's just say, I didn't win!

Do you have a corporate challenge in your city? 
What events do you participate? Or what would you want to do if you could?

No comments:

Post a Comment