Thursday, January 22, 2015

Half Marathon Training Plan

I have taken a little hiatus from running since my last half marathon...I had a few things going on-my wedding and honeymoon, my brother's wedding, and then the holidays.  I was left with very little motivation to get out and run.  So, how did I get my running motivation back?  I signed up for 3 half marathons in 5 weeks.  The first one is 12 weeks from Saturday.  Normally I have a base and just amp up long runs for 6 weeks before the race.  This time, I feel like I am starting from scratch.

I decided to come up with a better plan!

My long runs will build up slowly and mix in running with friends who are faster and running more challenging routes that include hills. 


I have a few trips planned, so the day of the week isn't really planned.  I will plan the distance and build up slowly.  One thing to remember about all runs-some days they are great, some days they suck...the point is always to log the miles (unless you are injured!!).  You will feel so great when you do!! 

Long Runs:
Week 1: 5 miles
Week 2: 5 miles
Week 3: 6 miles-with a faster friend
Week 4: 6 miles
Week 5: 7 miles-with a faster friend
Week 6: 8 miles-with a faster friend
Week 7: 6 miles
Week 8: 9 miles-with hills
Week 9: 8 miles
Week 10: 10 miles-mix up the running trail
Week 11: 7 miles
Week 12: 13.1-race weekend!!!

 

I will also include shorter runs that will build in distance as well.  Probably 3 days each week.  These runs mix in speed, hills, and easy runs with the pup.  After all, running with Porter is one of my New Year's goals.  


Don't forget to cross train!  Running alone = burning out and possible injuries!!  I mix it up by playing indoor volleyball once per week, including HIIT workouts, lifting {some} weights and I even plan to mix in some yoga.  **I really need to get better at the last 2!!**  


I hope this plan will help me have a successful spring race schedule!!  

How many weeks do you usually train for a race?
Do you make up your own training plans or follow a more strict schedule?

Linking up with spoons for some TOL!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good luck on the three half marathons...I think that is a good idea to run them all within 5 weeks of each other (although I personally have never done that, so I don't know if it would work for me). I can't wait to get updates on how your training goes, and eventually how the races go for you.

    I usually sign up for a half marathon a good three months out, like you did. Because of having baby, I signed up for the Denver half marathon in October 2015, so I have lots of time to mentally and physically prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is a great time!! I will probably do another one then too. You'll do great!

      Delete
  2. Are you running Heartland 39.3? I signed up for it this fall and it's a good thing too, because I took a holiday hiatus and I think this is just the thing to get my butt back in gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm running Heartland. It is my first time to do the 39.3. I've run Garmin and Rock the Parkway, but not Running With the Cows and def not back to back. I need to get my butt in gear too!

      Delete