Monday, March 3, 2014

Susie Homemaker

I was quite the Susie Homemaker on Sunday.  We went to the store in the morning, cleaned the house from top to bottom and then I cooked salmon patties from scratch and salad for lunch (see yesterday's post for the recipe). Last night I made pork fried rice which serves 4 people at 306 calories per serving. I love making chinese food at home. It tastes delicious and it is pretty easy.

Pork Fried Rice
Ingredients:
2/3 lb of pork chops
1/2 of a small onion-diced
1/2 of a red bell pepper-diced
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp smart balance light (EVOO buttery spread)
Soy Sauce
Sriracha Hot Sauce
Small can of peas and carrots
2 cups of cooked brown rice (I use Trader Joe's brown rice packets that come frozen and you pop in the microwave for 3 minutes)

Cut the pork into small cubes and saute it with the onion, peppers, sesame oil and smart balance.  Add soy sauce and sriracha to taste.  Add rice and peas and carrots and more soy sauce and sriracha if necessary.  Cook until heated through and thoroughly mixed together. 

I served it with some chicken egg rolls from Trader Joes.  Dumplings and edamame are also good!

After dinner, I was in the mood for something sweet.  I busted out the cook book that my mom made for all for the kids with our favorite recipes from when we were young.  I came across no bake cookies...how I have never made these before baffles me!!  I didn't have the exact ingredients and I wanted to make them a little healthier so I improvised.


I replaced the sugar with splenda, the stick of butter with smart balance, and the whole milk with 2%.  They ended up at 150 calories a piece (which still seemed like a lot, but they were rich and delicious so one was enough!).

No Bake Cookies-lightened up a little
Mix the following in a sauce pan:
1 cup of Splenda
1/4 cup of 2% milk (fat free would work too-we just keep 2% on hand)
2 tbsp of smart balance
3 tbsp of Hershey's milk chocolate chips

Heat until chocolate is melted.  Add in 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1 tbsp of cookie butter (or 2 tbsp of peanut butter if you don't have the deliciousness that is Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter).  Mix until the peanut butter and cookie butter melt into the mixture. 

Remove from heat and combine with 2 cups of oats (I used TJ's Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats because that is what I had.).

Scoop out 12 cookies and let cool...if using foil, I recommend spraying with cooking spray so it doesn't stick.


All of the cleaning, cooking and excitement made for a worn out pups!!  He was so tired all night.


Have you tried to lighten up any of your childhood favorites? 

What are you most looking forward to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment