Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What Motivates You?

Jordin Sparks went on the Today Show and revealed her weight and what motivates her.  She has lost 50 pounds, but not because she wanted to be a size 0.  "I loved the way I looked before," says Jordin. "I was comfortable with how I looked. But a lot of it has been really focusing on becoming healthier."


This got me thinking, what motivates me?



Wine and beer after a race are certainly great motivators, but not what make me want to live a healthy lifestyle.  Right now, my wedding dress and bikini season are motivators to drop those pesky winter pounds.  BUT what really motivates me to maintain an active and balanced lifestyle?

I was always an active kid-playing sports elementary school through high school.  A healthy and balanced diet was never the focus.  I am naturally thinner so I never had to worry about it.  Then came college.  No sports to offset the terrible crap I was eating=gaining 40 pounds.  That is a lot when you start at 125!!

After college, I got a desk job and continued to be pretty unhappy with how heavy I was getting.  I finally decided to make a change.  A friend of mine did weight watchers and introduced me to the Self Magazine website for tracking food and exercise.  That was just what I needed.  I started working out and paying attention to what I was eating.  I felt better, lost weight and really got back into running.  



So, what motivates me?  Feeling good, looking good, and my love of running!!!  (Wine and beer too, but they are just bonuses!) 

What motivates you?


2 comments:

  1. I am motivated by feeling good, having energy and how my pants fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am motivated by how I feel - I may not always want to work out, but I know how much better I will feel after I'm done. Plus, I'm cranky when my pants are too tight! :) Also just knowing that I am doing something good for my body and striving to be better than yesterday will help me get to the gym.

    ReplyDelete